The ‘Camp Diary’ provides an insight into the Bedfordshire Training Depot from 1914-16. Based on newspaper reports of the time.
January 1915 – The recruits have returned after the Christmas holidays. The number of men in training has swollen to 700. Fourteen huts have now been completed. Khaki uniforms have been issued. Dr Garner of ‘The Limes’ in Ampthill is the camp doctor.
The first and second companies are engaged in skirmishing in the Park, route marches and rifle practice. The troops parade into town each Sunday morning, accompanied by the Regimental Band.
January 29, 1915
In the Ampthill Parish Magazine the Reverend Walter D. May writes ~
The Bedfordshire Standard. The original broadsheet is part of the Bedfordshire & Luton Archive.
Banner of Faith (which contains the Parish Magazines for 1915)
Next instalment to be published on 1 December 2015….
Text copyright S.Hartley (2015-)