The ‘Camp Diary’ provides an insight into the Bedfordshire Training Depot from 1914-16. Based on newspaper reports of the time.
February 1915 – The latest draft of 70 volunteers brings the Camp upto 900 strong. The recreation room is complete and furnished, with the tinkling ivories of a piano to entertain. On Saturday 20th the men completed a route march through local villages accompanied by the band, which could only impress. The 1st Company is starting to make good use of the Millbrook Range. Trench digging is practiced in a field near Ampthill Park.
In the Ampthill Parish Magazine the Reverend Walter D. May writes ~
The Bedfordshire Standard. The original broadsheet is part of the Bedfordshire & Luton Archive.
Banner of Faith (which contains the Parish Magazines for 1915)
Next instalment to be published on 15 December 2015….
Text copyright S.Hartley (2015-)