The Bedfordshire Training Depot used two firing ranges. In Ampthill Park there was a 30 yard miniature range where the recruits practiced with reduced calibre .22 Lee-Enfield Rifles. The musketry instructor was Second-Lieutenant HL. Farnell.
The main firing range was at Millbrook and dates from the 1870s. It is likely the range was upgraded to meet the 1908 British Army standard. In the aerial photograph the butts are clearly visible (centre left). Recruits went on to use this range once they mastered the basics of weaponry. Millbrook Proving Ground now occupies the land.
The Bedfordshire Standard. The Bedfordshire Times & Independent. These original broadsheets are part of the Bedfordshire & Luton Archive.
Central Bedfordshire Council, Historic Environment Record
Text copyright S.Hartley (2015-)
BUY: Ampthill Camp WWI Centenary Postcard
This special postcard commemorates the centenary of the WWI Bedfordshire Training Depot (1914-16). Limited edition: 500
Proceeds will help to fund a book about the Ampthill Camp ~ profits to benefit the charity Combat Stress which was founded in 1919 to help WWI veterans deal with shell shock.
£2 (inc p&p). Please email email@example.com to order by PayPal or BACS transfer.