Tag Archives: 31524

WWI – Ampthill Command Depot in Ampthill Park – the Camp Diary, April 1918

The ‘Camp Diary’ provides an insight into the Bedfordshire Training Depot (1914-16) and No.9 Command Depot (1916-1919) that followed. Based on newspaper reports of the time.

April 1918 – two wounded, non-commissioned officers who have won gallantry medals are undergoing rehabilitation at the Ampthill Command Depot.

9409 Acting Company Sergeant Major Alfred STRINGER D.C.M. was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal twice in 1915 for his brave actions, and has also won the Russian Cross of St. George.

Alfred (20) joined the Army in January 1909 and was drafted in October 1914. He distinguished himself on May 16, 1915 at Festubert when, in the face of heavy German fire, Alfred Stringer led a small party who rushed a barricade that blocked the road and was hindering the British attack. Two days later when the Bedfords’ again went over the top Stringer, with ten men, reached a German trench in advance of the Battalion and held it against heavy odds until ordered to retire.

On September 30, 1915 Sergeant Stringer won a bar to the D.C.M.  at the Battle of Loos where he led a night bombing raid. The party struggled forwards in the face of fierce resistance and achieved their objective of taking the German trench, and repelled further vigorous counter attacks.

13784 Corporal Ernest W. JONES M.M. was awarded the Military Medal for his brave actions on August 10, 1917 during a British attack on the West Hoek Ridge in the Ypres Sector. Faced with a counter attack the Battalion withdrew and sustained casualties in Glencorse Wood which was being heavily shelled. Corporal Jones advanced into the wood and succeeded in bringing out some of the casualties.

[both of these men survived the war and were discharged from service in 1919].

1918.4.12 BS

Bedfordshire Standard – April 12, 1918

News of the Canadians

The total cut for April amounted to 583,015 F.B.M. This was produced at the Canadian Mill at Ampthill Station and at the Scotch Mill at Clophill. The Canadian Mill lumbered timber from softwood hauled by motor transport from the Flitwick Plantation. The Clophill operation achieved 23 sawing days despite being handicapped by having to log fallen timber and haul it half a mile by horse-drawn wagon across the fields, and being impacted by the Portuguese labour trouble.

A total of 770,219 F.B.M. of sawn timber was consigned from Ampthill Station which is a little lower than in March.

News of Ampthill Park recruits at the Front

This month the war has claimed the lives of five men who trained at the Ampthill Camp.

Source: 

The Bedfordshire Standard. The original broadsheet is part of the Bedfordshire & Luton Archive.

Ampthill Parish Magazine
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
RBL Roll of Honour
Ancestry.com
The National Archives
Bedsatwar blog
Bedsathome blog
Red Cross
Ampthill’s Fallen – by John Hele (2014)

Report on the Activities of the 126 Company Canadian Forestry Corps. Ampthill 1917-18 (K.Fadden)
A Review of Activities with the 126th Company Canadian Forestry Corps while stationed at Ampthill, Bedfordshire, Eng. (Sgt H. Porter, 1918)

Www.bedfordshireregiment.co.uk

#IWMSTORIES

Next instalment to be published on 30 April 2018….

Text and images copyright S.Hartley (2015-)

Care is taken to ensure accuracy – please accept my apologies if the content contains any errors.


BUY: Stencilling Tommy’s Footprints

This 48 page book tells the story of how Tommy’s Footprints came about and notes the many people who have contributed and connected. There are just 150 individually numbered books. A unique gift.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Proceeds will help to fund a book about the Ampthill Camp ~ profits to benefit the charity Combat Stress which was founded in 1919 to help WWI veterans deal with shell shock.

£6 (inc p&p). Please email hartleyhare135@gmail.com to order by PayPal or BACS transfer. The book is also available from Ampthill Town Council, The Hub and The Stationery Boutique in Ampthill while stocks last.

To remember that amazing day and the memories it went onto craft, here is a free copy of the book “Stencilling Tommy’s Footprints” – click to download.

Continue reading

31524 Private Ernest Rogers of Langford 

The Ampthill Camp Memorial names 707 men who trained at the Ampthill Camp and were killed in WWI. Examining the Roll of Honour for Langford I found an Ampthill recruit who isn’t named on the bronze plaques of the Ampthill Camp Memorial – Private Ernest Rogers of 12, Station Rd in Langford. Ernest’s Service Record is one of those that survived WWII German bombing in 1940 and confirms the link.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

(all images © Crown Copyright)

Ernest Rogers was a 19 year old farm labourer from Langford. On November 17, 1915 Ernest Rogers went to the Bedfordshire Training Depot and attested before Major Nelson (Adjutant). Dr Garner did the medical examination. Private 23344 Rogers trained at the Ampthill Camp until he was transferred on April 12, 1916 to the Machine Gun Corps, 8th Battalion and his Military Service Number changed to 31524.

On September 25 Ernest was posted to France where he joined the Machine Gun Corps, 89 Company.

On March 20, 1917 Private Rogers was wounded in action – a gunshot wound to the neck/shoulder. Ernest was brought back to the UK and spent some time being rehabilitated at the Alnwick Command Depot. In October 1917 he returned to the Front as a Machine Gunner where he served with the 5th Battalion. On April 23, 1918 Ernest was injured again – a shrapnel wound to the knee and a and leg fracture. Private Ernest Rogers died one week later at the 39th Stationary Hospital. He is buried in the Aire Communal Cemetery and remembered on the Memorial Clock Tower in Langford

Research has found five more Ampthill Park recruits who fell during the Great War and are not named on the Ampthill Camp Memorial. There may well be more. This no great surprise because men were transferred from the Bedfords’ to reinforce other regiments. News of those casualties may not have filtered back to the Ampthill Camp.

Source:

Commonwealth War Graves Commission
RBL Roll of Honour
Ancestry.co.uk
The National Archives

#IWMSTORIES

Text and images copyright S.Hartley (2015-)

Care is taken to ensure accuracy – please accept my apologies if the content contains any errors.