In 2014 Ampthill historian John Hele published a book called Ampthill’s Fallen.
Ampthill’s Fallen is a tribute to the 67 men on the Ampthill Memorials, and to all those who were killed or died as a result of the Great War. John Hele diligently records what is known about each man’s life, service and death. Eight of the men also appear on the Memorial Cross in Ampthill Park because they trained at the Bedfordshire Training Depot (1914-16). The eight soldiers are:
- 23071 Private Harry Burt
- 22809 Private Arthur Gillett
- 30064 Private Stewart William Hill
- 23251 Acting Sergeant George Money
- 26703 Private Thomas Money
- 23503 Private Richard Putman
- 23511 Lance Corporal George Thompson
- 18972 Private Albert Willis
To find out more read Ampthill’s Fallen [ISBN 978-0-9542619-5-5 – 149 pages ~ £13 inc p&p]. To obtain a copy of this excellent book please the Tommy’s Footprints Shop.